Welcome to the DesignCon 2020 agenda and presentation download site. Here you can view and download conference and/or Chiphead Theater presentations before, during, and after the event. If you’re looking for a presentation from a specific session that you’re unable to find here, it is likely because the presenter has not provided permission for external use or has not yet shared their presentation with us. Please check back after the event for a more complete catalogue of available presentations.
Location: Ballroom E
Date: Thursday, January 30
Time: 2:50pm - 3:30pm
Track: 13. Modeling & Analysis of Interconnects, 12. Applying Test & Measurement Methodology
Format: Technical Session
Pass Type: 2-Day Pass, All-Access Pass, Alumni All-Access Pass - Get your pass now!
Vault Recording: TBD
Audience Level: Intermediate
Via is commonly seen in multilayer PCB. With the data rate increasing to 56G or even higher, accurate modeling of differential vias becomes critical for high-speed designs. It is challenging to characterize the differential vias from both simulation and measurement. Achieving good correlation up to 50GHz or higher frequencies is even more challenging. The paper presents a complete flow covering simulation, measurement with de-embedding, and their correlation. A novel magnetic current based MoM is proposed, which shows significant speedup while maintaining the same accuracy as 3D FEM solvers. The measurement techniques with various de-embedding methods will be also reviewed. The novel 2x-through based de-embedding is proposed, which demonstrates good correlation with reference data in IEEE P370. To establish simulation-measurement correlation, material Dk/Df extraction is also developed.
1. complete flow for differential via characterization from simulation, measurement with de-embedding, and their correlation.
2. review of various numerical methods for via modeling multilayer PCB;
3. novel method of moments (MoM) solver with magnetic current is proposed, which shows great accuracy with significant speed advantage;
4. review of various de-embedding techniques and their pros and cons;
5. the 2x-through based de-embedding is proposed, which shows excellent correlation with simulated results.
signal integrity, high-speed design, EM simulation, de-embedding, Dk/Df, differential via